System Status Website
The System Status website located at http://status.illinois.edu or http://status.uillinois.edu and its supporting administrative application were developed and launched through a collaborative project between AITS and Technology Services. Previously, both IT organizations maintained their own status pages.
When IT issues arise, it may not be clear to a user if the impacted service is supported by Technology Services, AITS, or one of the many other departmental and college IT units. Users may not know where to report issues they are experiencing or know where to quickly find posted information about the service outage. University students, faculty and staff can access the System Status page to find information related to IT issues as well as announcements for upcoming planned service outages. They can also subscribe to receive email notifications for events that are posted to the site. The use of the application and website for posting events is open to all University IT groups that wish to utilize it.
The initial requirements for the website and application design included input that was gathered from campus IT staff during a Caffeine Break forum and through submissions to the Technology Services wiki page. The requirements were reviewed and prioritized by Technology Services and AITS stakeholders.
- Users can subscribe to Email notices for the posting department(s) of their choice. Subscription options include real time status updates and a daily digest of posts.
- Users can browse closed event postings.
- For long events, the process to add status updates has been streamlined and all of the chronological posts are clearly displayed and maintained.
- Planned events will automatically move from the Scheduled Events section to the Current Events section without manual intervention.
- Administrative notices are sent via Email to designated team members when events are posted or closed as well as reminders to update or close stale event postings.
- Event postings can be staged and the time of publication to the website can be scheduled.
- The application servers and databases are highly available.
- Template system for ease of posting common events.
- Search functionality for current and closed events
- Administrator GUI to manage users and systems
- High call notifications- service desk staff can quickly post a notice indicating significant activity for one or more systems
- RSS Feeds
- Staff can post and update events from any location (no VPN required)
- Ability to filter view by group or by campus on Current Events and Closed Events pages
- Staff can be provisioned to post on behalf of more than one department
- Administrative reporting through EDDIE
- Recurring event functionality - Coming in 2016
Other functionality that will be included in future releases includes:
- Announcements section
- Mobile interface
If you would like more information about the System Status website, or to provide suggestions please use the form on the Contact Us page.